February Flash Fiction Contest Results

The results are in!



First Place: 
Linda Kozar 
Title - Taking The Plunge

I never thought I'd fall in love. But somewhere between the thirty-ninth and eleventh floors I knew I had. Now before you start telling me it's impossible to fall for a complete stranger, let me assure you he wasn't. We worked on the same floor. Left work at the same time on the same elevator almost every day. But today when the cable snapped and hung by a thread, we fell into one another's arms. About to take the plunge, our eyes met for a moment. But the fire department rescued us and I fell for a hot fireman instead.


Second Place:
Linda Street-Ely
Title - Kiss

He was strikingly handsome. She, stunningly beautiful. When their eyes met, time stood still, yet all about them blossomed. Roses became redder. Blue jays bluer. The sunset cast a Valentine-pink glow about them. He gazed at her delicate features and her curly brown locks lightly lifted by the summer breeze. Her skin looked soft. She gazed at his lovely chiseled jaw, steel-blue eyes and broad shoulders. Her lips parted slightly. They were only inches from his. She closed her eyes. "Should I draw in closer?" She considered it carefully, then set her brush down and let them be, almost there.

Third Place
Belinda Hamilton
Title - Bolo

Sergeant Baker cleared his throat, adjusted the heavy gun belt that perpetually dug into his hips, and waited for the loud chattering to die down. Police officers can be so juvenile, he thought, knowing far too well it was their crude way of dealing with all the messed-up junk they would deal with once they hit the streets. "And finally, just in from dispatch," he barked, Attention night shift patrol BOLO: Shackled white male on foot in the area of Thirty-Forth and South Voss. If found transport to Southwest Substation. Wife is waiting with keys. "Now be safe out there."

Honorable Mention
Annette O'Hare
Ode To A Love Lost

How could you leave me? I know...ultimately the decision was mine. We had a good run though. Thirteen years-a lifetime for most. I'll never forget how it was in the beginning, your playfulness, your sweet kisses, holding you tight. I've never loved anyone like you. You were my first. But it's over...now I'm left with painful reminders of your larger than life presence scattered about my place. "Knock know, Mrs. O'Hare? Can I do...anything? "No. Thanks." I walked out the office door...your faded blue collar and leash dangling by my side.

A big thank you goes out to everyone who came out to participate. All of your stories were wonderfully written and a great time was had by all. Can't wait until our next flash fiction competition coming up in July. Hope to see you there!
Annette O'Hare - Chapter President

Comments

Popular Posts