Melanie Stiles: Life Coach in Blue Jeans

(Thanks to Anthea Kotlan for filling in for me this week.)


Dear friends, I've dropped everything to write you about this life of salvation that we have in common. I have to write insisting - begging! - that you fight with everything you have in you for this faith entrusted to us as a gift to guard and cherish. (Jude 3)

Do you sometimes feel that you just have to write? Do you see your writing a gift that God has entrusted to you? Melanie Stiles, a life coach in blue jeans, brought a heaping helping of encouragement and scripture to her audience on Saturday at our June meeting. Stiles charged her audience to view God’s gift of writing as a ministry tool for each to share lavishly. After decades of working in the area of non-fiction writing, Stiles was quick to offer some extremely practical advice in the way of application for her message. “Walk through any other door the Lord opens!” Here are a few of Stiles suggestions:
  • Concoct plays for your church, family or group to act out.
  • Blog for your church or group (and create a team to include other writers).
  • Make and deliver a list of reasons you love or appreciate someone or his/her efforts.
  • Create and publish a family or group newsletter.
  • Write letters for those who don’t have physical or language abilities.
  • Walk through any other door the Lord opens!
Stiles went on to give us four steps to be taken:
  1. Don’t be tempted to hide your words.
  2. Practice boldness…we’ve all been scared sometimes when we say yes.
  3. Let the Lord know you are ready to be used by Him. He’s a gentleman and won’t force you.
  4. Be thankful for any gifts or opportunities God gives you.

She added that when doubts assail us, remember 2 Corinthians 9:8 (NKJV) :

And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.

Finally Stiles closed the meeting by asking to pray the writer’s prayer over us:

Lord, I come to you expressing gratitude for the gift You have bestowed upon me. I thank you for trusting me to use it to my full potential for Your glory. Open my eyes, my heart, my spirit and my mind, that I may see Your intentions. By the strength of Jesus Christ, I know I am able to overcome any insecurity or obstacle that would keep me from doing Your will! I surrender my gift to You and Your purposes. In Jesus’ name, Amen.












Comments

Popular Posts